Sunday, November 20, 2011
Tenth Blog Post
A recent film series that I feel has become my generation's version of Star Wars is the Pirates of the Caribbean series. The series has become so popular with people of all ages, but years from now when the series is done and no more movies are made people my age are always going to remember them and how good they are/were. I will admit that I have never seen any of the Star Wars movies, and I'm sure there will be people like that when it comes to the Pirates of the Caribbean movies later in my life. Just as I am with the Star Wars series, some people won't have any clue as of to what the series is about. In both the Star Wars and Pirates of the Caribbean series, there is an enemy (Star Wars: Darth Vader, Pirates of the Caribbean: Davy Jones). And along with having an enemy, each series has a team that works together to defeat the enemy (Star Wars: Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, R2D2... and Pirates of the Caribbean: Jack Sparrow, Elizabeth Swan, William Turner...). Both of these series also have a lot of science fiction involved in them. Of course Star Wars does since it is based in outer space, but the science fiction in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies are sea creature monsters, or people who have abilities to change into giant sea monsters. There is also a lead female role in each series. Star Wars has Princess Leia, and Pirates of the Caribbean has Elizabeth Swan. Both characters are strong-willed and determined, and are almost like "one of the guys" because they both assist in defeating the enemy and use weapons. I hope that the Pirates of the Caribbean series will still be as popular years from now like the Star Wars series is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When Pirates of the Caribbean came out, I'll admitt I did not go out and see right away. Infact, I didn't see any of the movies until one day after I had moved to another city and I knew no one. My point is, that night I went out and rented the first 3 and watched them all that night! Fell in love with the series. I am with you, on not seeing Star Wars, though I have seen bits and pieces, I would not be able to give a detailed summary of it.
ReplyDeleteI had never thought to compare Star Wars with Pirates of the Caribbean. You made a lot of good comparisons, and I can see how our generations Han Solo is totally Jack Sparrow. The funny part to me is that my sister and her husband (both from Gen X) are Star Wars fans, but aren't into the Pirates franchise, while I am somewhat the opposite.
ReplyDelete