Monday, September 19, 2011

Third Blog Assignment

Of the videos, readings, and discussions in class about the female body, I found the reading about Victoria's Secret to be the most compelling. I shop at the store and online, so I am exposed to the advertisements a lot.  There have been several times when I have seen a Victoria's Secret advertisement on a webpage that has nothing to do with Victoria's Secret.  I think these advertisements have a large impact on our popular culture's ideas of how girls and women should look.  When some women look at the models wearing the products, I think it makes them feel a little insecure about themselves and their bodies, which results in them buying products from Victoria's Secret to give them the feeling that they are "sexy" like the model wearing the product.  Media exposes women and girls to several other things showing women being very skinny, or altering their bodies to look more attractive, which I find very unhealthy.  Some girls let those things get to their head, so they do drastic and dangerous things to themselves so they can look like what they see.  My thoughts and opinion towards bodies is that besides genetics, our bodies will look like how we treat and respect it.  This isn't just about appearance either, I'm also talking about healthy personal hygiene.  If we respect our body, we will eat healthy, exercise, and stay clean. I also don't believe that you have to have the "perfect body" to be respectful towards your body.  I feel like the "perfect body" is overrated and is something people take too seriously, which can sometimes be harmful for them.  It's never too late to make changes to respect your body.   

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday I read an article by the editor of a magazine about what happened when she tried one of Victoria's Secret's special bust-increasing bras. She said her breasts definitely looked bigger, but that after one day, she got tired of people staring at her chest. It became a much bigger focus for other people than she thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete